Julian Crane is a general physician by training and a research professor in the Department of Medicine.
Research interests include epidemiological studies and clinical trials of asthma and allergic disease, and the role of housing factors such as damp and mould that impact the respiratory system. Recent research interests have included the role of probiotics in respiratory and allergic health, and novel products to help smokers quit smoking.
- Wickens, K. Ingham, T. Davies, C. Chapman, R.(2019).Effect of an electricity voucher on electricity use.Energy Policy,134, 110985.
- Ingham, T.R. Jones, B. Aldridge, D. Latimer, M. Dowell, A. Davies, C. Draper, J.B. Bailey, L.O. Stanley, T.V. Leadbitter, P.(2019).Damp mouldy housing and early childhood hospital admissions for acute respiratory infection: a case control study.Thorax,74: 849–857.
- Walker, G.J. Stelzer‐Braid, S. Honeywill, C. Wynn, M. Willenborg, C. Barnes, P. Kang, J. Rawlinson, W.D.(2019).Viruses associated with acute respiratory infection in a community‐based cohort of healthy New Zealand children.Journal of Medical Virology,Open access.
- Barnes, P. Kang, J. Wickens, K. Douwes, J. Stanley, T. Täubel, M. Hyvärinen, A.(2018).Indoor visible mold and mold odor are associated with new‐onset childhood wheeze in a dose‐dependent manner.Indoor Air,28(1), 6-15.
- Preval, N. Rivera-Muñoz, G. Davies, C. Oliver, J.(2017).Housing, energy and health in resilient cities.Cities in New Zealand: Preferences, patterns and possibilities,Howden-Chapman, L. Early & J. Ombler (Eds.), (pp. 95-106). Wellington, New Zealand: Steele Roberts Aotearoa.
- Chapman, R. Fougere, G.(2011).Improving health through community-based housing interventions.International Journal of Public Health,56, 583–588. DOI 10.1007/s00038-011-0287-z
- Nicholls, S. Cunningham, M. Phipps, R. Boulic, M. Fjallstrom, P. Free, S. Chapman, R. ... ...(2008).Effects of improved home heating on asthma in community dwelling children: randomised community study.
- Matheson, A. Cunningham, M. Blakely, T. Woodward, A. O’Dea, D. Kennedy, M. Waipara, N. Chapman, R. Davie, G.(2007).Effect of insulating existing houses on health inequality: cluster randomised study in the community.
- Zhang, J. Blakely, T.(2006).Housing, Crowding and Health Study: Characteristics of Cohort Members and their Hospitalisations – February 2003 to June 2005.He Kāinga Oranga / Housing & Health Research Programme Wellington School of Medicine & Health Sciences.
- Gale, J. Siebers, R. Phipps, R.(2005).Is the Wellington medical school facility a sick building?The New Zealand Medical Student Journal,3
- Matheson, A. Cunningham, M. Blakely, T. O’Dea, D. Woodward, A. Saville-Smith, A. Waipara, N.(2005).Retrofitting houses with insulation to reduce health inequalities: Aims and methods of a clustered, randomised community-based trialSocial Science and Medicine,61(12, 2600-2610.
- Matheson, A. Waipara, N. Blakely, T. Cunningham, M. Woodward, A. O’Dea, D. Douwes, J. Marshall, C. Skelton, P.(2002)A national study of the health effects of insulating homes: the baseline data (Report 2).University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
A national study of the health effects of insulating homes: the baseline data (Report 2), August 2002. He Kainga Oranga Housing and Health Research Programme Department of Public Health Wellington
- Blakely, T. Cunningham, M. O’Dea, D. Woodward, A. Waipara, N. Douwes, J. Matheson, A. Marshall, C. Skelton, P.(2002)A national study of the health effects of insulating homes: the baseline data (Report 1).University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
A national study of the health effects of insulating homes: the baseline data (Report 1), March 2002. He Kāinga Oranga Housing and Health Research Programme Department of Public Health Wellington S